Friday, October 25, 2013

Practice your Kegels (men, you too)

     Le gasp! What does this have to do with modeling?
Everything.


      Initially, I wanted to type say that I wished that the world was not focused on beauty and aesthetics, and that we should label things based on society's standards, but I caught myself before I typed the first word. Scratch that. I am glad that our world is focused on beauty and aesthetics - whether we are aware of it are not! How dull life would be if our attitudes and personalities didn't show through in our craftsmanship! 

     Consider the child (or adult) who creates massive Lego structures, pouring their blood, sweat, and soul into their baby. Consider the finance student who fell asleep on his books, beyond fatigued in his venture to learn the makings of his trade. Perhaps I can tickle your fancy with the knowledge you already have of the time he/she/they spent being denied before they were picked up and focused on. Or, be daring and get brave. What about your hobby? That thing that gets your blood simmering and pumping?

      There's a book I'm reading called "Ooh La La!" by Jamie Cat Callan. It's all about French women's secrets to beauty and feeling top notch, beautiful, and glowing every day. My birthday recently passed, and I was gifted gift cards to Barnes & Noble - one of my favorite stores. In the effort of trying to save money and trying something new, I randomly picked two books from the clearance to section. Truth be told, I didn't and still do not want to read them. I have yet to crack them open, and I have decided to return them as soon as I am able to. I picked up "Ooh La La!", feeling slightly silly about wanting to read a book about beauty, French women, and little tips. I should be reading more interesting and valuable materials! Expanding my horizons! Psh. Yeah. That's what I have imposed upon myself that I "think" I should be doing - not what I want to do. So, I bought this little book - money aside.

     My last blog post was about learning lessons wherever you wanted and could. Life throws lemonade your way, premade - you just have to find those little pitchers, sit down, and drink some. I'm not even half way through the book, but I am completely in love. Why? Do I not know the secret to being beautiful? I am a model. I do know the secret. I've known the secret for a very long time. I've made it a bigger deal in the most recent years. Would you like to know what it is? This book agrees with me. So do countless other blogs, self helps, and people.

I am myself. No more. No less. I am me without shame.

       That's it! Now, with that said, a person never stays the same throughout their entire life. Your body changes as you age, as it should. Why can your mind and soul not do the same? One of the reason's why I brought up the book "Ooh La La!" is because there is a very important point mentioned that I have realized to be true and quite intriguing: Women in America feel as though vanity is a chore and obligation, but should be cherished from a distance (hence botox, implants, avoiding aging, etc) and all "cheats" must be payed for right now while you are ridden with guilt. French women, however, want to be seen AND touched - hence why they take care of themselves so well. Spending time to be happy, present, investing in relationships with every person you meet (even in stores!), spending time on yourself, eating that piece of chocolate cake, and not feeling guilty about ANYTHING? NO choice they make? Sign me up.

      Granted, I've been very much tuning into the workings of my mind, soul, and feeding my brain with things that interest me and make me happy more-so - especially as of late. I've been taking the time to REALLY take care of myself - not just superficially. I don't diet. I naturally eat better because I want the best for myself and am quite in tune with how things make me feel and why. I meditate. I relax. I take a bath. I have been investing in my candle collection again as well as my bottles of lotion. Mmmm..... In turn, I must say, I have been happier on a different level, and it affects everything I do.

       Here's my biggest kicker: I don't feel guilty for wanting to spend time with myself. It's actually time to reset my button and allows me to think without the stress of constantly doing something. And it changes a person's persona when they meet their own needs, are happy with themselves, THEN take care of others. I've noticed that I have more to give after I have given to myself. I've been raised to believe that you put others first, and, now that I'm thinking about it, it doesn't really make sense. Eventually, you won't have anything left to give and will become just a shell. Nothing inside. Just a shell. No one's home. Not even the light's are on.

      Do you want to be a good model? Take care of yourself for more than just the reason of being pretty. Feel good about you. Feel good about your body. Feel good about taking a nap during the day, about getting a massage, about taking a walk when you have sixty million things to do, and about buying that candle that you adore. More than just your modeling will change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment