Wednesday, May 14, 2014

I'd Like Some Ribs & a Cup, Please!

While this may not seem like a big issue, to some people, it is. What cup size you fit into is sometimes a really big deal - especially if you're working with custom made clothing. It's kinda silly, perhaps, but think of it from a tailor's perspective:

  1. THIS is my end goal!
  2. These are the materials I am using. (Cotton, Spandex, Polyester, etc.)
  3. These are the decorations (Tassels, lace, bells, etc.)
  4. I want the folds to fall like this...
  5. The rib cage can only be this big...
  6. So what do I do about the boobs?
  7. What type of figure am I making this for? (Hourglass, athletic, plus, or super extra small?)
  8. I have this much money to put into my outfit. Better go with a smaller boob size to adjust to my budget.
  9. Should she wear a bra with this? Should I make one? Should it be padded? If so, how much?
I've made clothes before. I've had clothes made FOR me. While my chest is not particularly large, my rib cage is. I had a tailor assume that my cup size was a C. Awesome! I am a C. Close to a D. For Victoria Secret. In the rest of the world, I'm a B, bordering on an A. For another brand, I was informed that I was a DD. This was so many years ago, I couldn't remember the brand if I wanted to. Yes, Cup sizes are subjective. When listing your stats, know what your actual numbers are. Keep them in a notepad or in the back of your mind. If you gain or lose weight, your breasts may ebb and flow with the change. Remeasure if this happens. When booking a job that requires you to wear any piece of clothing, keep in mind your boobs and rib cage in mind. Another note to consider: mind your hips. If you are have a significant hour glass figure like I do, that extra small will be bunched around your waist in no time - leading to a not-so-professional fitting.

Claiming a cup size that another may not agree with is no ethical conundrum to get hot and bothered by. This is why you heave measurements in numbers, not just letters.

Best of Wishes,
Aina

No comments:

Post a Comment